Forge Prints
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
patransom

Reply with quote  #1 
Forge Prints sent me a couple of sample tiles from the Adventurescapes Kickstarter to review. Specifically, a floor tile and a raised steps tile from Ploxafuz's Alchemy Chamber showed up on my doorstep yesterday...

IMG_20170914_174944094.jpg 
The pictures below show the Adventurescapes tiles (unpainted, left) next to a Dwarven Forge Dungeon Kickstarter 1 tile (factory painted, center) and an Frontline Games Stones tile (unpainted, right). I figured it would be helpful to review the Adventurescapes tiles in comparison to the other two, so people who are familiar with the other products would have a frame of reference.

IMG_20170914_175024505.jpg  IMG_20170914_175123706_HDR.jpg 
As you can see in the first picture, all three tiles are about the same size on a side: 50 millimeters square. Note that this is just slightly smaller than 2 inches square. I mention the difference only because it's been discussed at length on the Dwarven Forge forums (their dungeon and cavern tiles use a 25mm grid, while their city and castle pieces use a 1 inch grid). If the difference matters to you, the Adventurescapes tiles (at least the examples I have) are on the same grid as Dwarven Forge dungeon/caverns.

The second picture shows that the Adventurescapes tile is identical in thickness to the Dwarven Forge tile. This makes me happy, because it means you can use them right next to each other. The Stones tiles are about an 1/8th of an inch shorter, which means there's a "step" down when used next to Dwarven Forge (or Adventurescapes).

You can also see that the Adventurescapes raised steps tile is slightly taller than the floor tile, so the top step sticks up above the floor when placed next to a regular tile. This seems a little odd to me, since it limits the usefulness of the steps tile. If the top step were at the same level as a regular tile, you could use it to step up to a big platform made of a layer of floor tiles, as well as next to other steps tiles. But not a big deal, I guess.

The sculpted texture on all three tiles is about the same level of detail. The "relief" (depth of the indentations and gaps between the grid squares) of the texture is about the same on the Adventurescapes and Dwarven Forge tiles. The Stones tile has a deeper relief and also sharper edges. I don't see this as good or bad, just different.

As far as the materials go, everyone's probably seen the video on on the Adventurescapes KS page showing the durability of the tiles. I didn't try anything that extreme on my sample tile, but I tried my hardest to bend it and even gnawed on it a little ([tongue]). It definitely feels every bit as durable as the Dwarven Forge tiles, even though it's clearly a different material. Only very slightly bendy and definitely not brittle. Even the thin edge of the steps tile seems in no danger of breaking.

In comparison, the Stones tiles are more bendy, and not just because they're thinner. The Stones are a more rubbery material (and probably just as impact resistant because of it). The Stones are probably easier to cut and modify with a razor blade knife. Dwarven Forge takes some effort to cut and, although I haven't tried it yet, I expect the Adventurescapes tiles would be similar.

In conclusion, these tiles are nice and should integrate seamlessly with Dwarven Forge (and with Stones, if you don't mind the thickness difference). Also, I'd have no problem tossing the Adventurescapes tiles in a bin for storage (which is what I do with the other tiles). The only concern would be messing up the paint job (your own or Old Rogue's). Can't comment on that yet, but I might try painting the sample tiles this weekend...

patransom

Reply with quote  #2 
Update: I took a quick stab at painting the sample tile. Primed with grey, picked out a couple of random stones in a darker grey, then hit it with an (overly heavy) light grey drybrush. Although I will probably make some changes to this technique when the full kickstarter stuff shows up (darker primer for better contrast, less paint on the drybrush), I'm happy with the results of this quick test. The drybrush brought out some nice details in the texture that were not evident in the unpainted product. Compare the painted tile in the picture to the unpainted stairs on the left.

Also, the Adventurescapes texture detail is evident in comparison to the Stones tile on the right. I hit the Stones tile (unprimed) with the same (overly heavy) drybrush. The Adventurescapes tile looks much more interesting and you can see my ham-handed brush strokes on the Stones' texture. Painting the Stones tiles, which I haven't begun to tackle yet, is going to require more care. The Adventurescapes stuff is going to paint up pretty easily, I think.

Tomorrow, after the paint dries I plan to add a coat of matte varnish. Then later in the week, I'll see how the paint stands up to some abuse...

IMG_20170916_143805304_HDR.jpg 

LimboLance

Reply with quote  #3 
My aged eyes and shaky hands find the tile sizes (especially the smaller ones) too hard to paint easily. When I get mine, I will have to figure out some method to quick paint these and may very well steal yours!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Legal imprint