Forge Prints
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
LimboLance

Reply with quote  #1 

For the record, until this KS, I have never seen or bought any products from Forge Prints - I am a newb to their product line. Also, I have no idea of the manufacture process so my "Ideas" may not be possible due to how they are made. I will be putting this review and the photos on the Forge Prints Forum. I intend to test these pieces to destruction. I will initially paint the piece and then begin to do the "mods" to it that I feel would be of help to me as a DM and support the KS Docks. I will match the Adventurescapes (A) tile to Dwarven Forge (DF), Stones (S) and Dungeon Worlds (DW) products that I currently own at times.

4 Tiles.JPG 

The tile appears and feels to be different than the terrain I recently bought from their store. The color is a darker and more appealing shade of gray. It feels slightly "rubbery", has a nice heft and after tossing it around and putting it in my pocket - no bending, dings, rips, etc. (I felt and I am going to be spending at least $200 on this KS and wanted an idea of their quality before "putting on the ring" and upping my pledge.)

Since I was only given a single tile of each type - how they mate to each other could not be determined. However, the tile appears to be perfectly square and shouldn't have issues with mating evenly with others of its ilk. Without using a micrometer, the tile appears to be (50mm) equal in size to DF (height and width); S matches in width but is not as tall; DW matches S in height (so like S is "shorter" then A and DF) - DW tiles are 2" and so are wider than the other three.

Examined from the sides - the tile is not a consistent thickness on all sides. One corner is notably "thinner" than the other three but the tile lies flat and if butted against others - shouldn't be a issue at all. Other than a very thin side profile (top of the tile and equal to the depth of the cut dividing the tile into four squares) the sides are featureless (some molding marks?) and without intent to be exposed for use. IDEA: I would recommend to add features to at least two adjacent sides - for those that just use floor tiles and no walls. Than they can be used for corners and border tiles.

Back (2).JPG 

Bottom is featureless but stamped with "http://www.forgeprints.com". IDEA: Place the logo on one (or both of the sides that you do not detail (see above) - S does this. Then leave the bottom featureless (could then be painted to look like water, ice, flocked with grass, etc) OR add a second terrain detail to the bottom - like S does (wood, slate, different tile pattern). Consumers ALWAYS want the most bang for the buck. DF has both a ridge and a imprint making their bottoms useless. DW is featureless and tiles have no logos.

Back (1).JPG 

Surface detail is unique and does not match any other product. Though, you could use them together to create complicated displays - use A to border a center consisting of DF tiles for example. While I like a large number of bricks on walls - having a lot of bricks on the floor will be a painting challenge. For example, I wouldn't want to paint the floor the same way I paint the walls - as everything would "blur" together visually. My general rule is I want the floor to be boring; the walls to provide a backdrop and the minis to shine... So, I can't use the same palette I use for the DF walls (as I don't have A walls to provide contrast to the A floor tiles). Gotta think on this...

Currently, cleaning the tiles and will prime them. Intention: paint all using same color palette. Then I intend to cut the A tile in half and one of the halves into quarters. I will then mod the pieces to see how they adhere (glue test), take to be disfigured (e.g. modeled) and appear post modification.

Quik Paint.JPG 
Pieces took primer without issue - and with some of the pieces I have bought - this is a HUGE plus! Did a quick paint job to see effects and try to see if the paint holds due to wear as well. As mentioned, with only a single tile of each type - extensive repainting pretty tough. The smaller squares caused my aged eyes some issues - definitely a personal preference to larger squares. The S piece with multi colors is me "double tasking" - I am playing with stucco and trying to decide colors for external walls - and might as well play with Adventurescapes against the various color options.

Cuts.JPG 

Cutting the tiles for mods is easy - though thicker tiles are notorious for making straight cuts harder - the tile cut with hand held knife as well as with a hand saw. Irregular sizes are based on technique and speed - not material. If the tiles become two sided, having guidelines on the reverse will be helpful as well.

Hole.JPG 

Drilling through the piece was easy and left minimal amount of material requiring trimming.

Detail.JPG 

Like user patransom - a good dry brush makes the piece "pop" and shows a large amount of surface detail (not to mention hides my poor technique!).

So, for me, the tiles have many useful features and some issues for us oldsters with poor painting techniques and eyesight. Love the material, not brittle, soft, nice heft - so, in conclusion, I like these tiles!!! I would grade them a B (the same grade I give DF tiles by the by) and would surely find a place for them on my gaming table.

LimboLance

Reply with quote  #2 
I would like to thank Forge Prints for both allowing me to be a "tester", allow me to post on KS and here without editing and for a great looking product. I AM a backer on KS and am looking forward to buying product from this company!
forgeprints

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 
Just a quick comment! the slight squish you see on one side of the floor tile Limbo is not from the casting but an actual defect in the master that then made it into the mold! these are prototype pieces so the final pieces will not have said defect [smile]

Kevin
Forge Prints
LimboLance

Reply with quote  #4 
Well, that explains that! As I mentioned, not sure how the pieces were made - and glad to hear its going away!!!
LimboLance

Reply with quote  #5 
image1.JPG 
The elevation tile is up!  Good detail, easy to paint. While it looks brown in the photo - it really is more grayish in color.  Very robust material, tried breaking it by hand - bent slightly but wouldn't break. 
image2.JPG 
Placed against back of DF tile, it is easily discernible from the DF pattern - not a bad thing as it will break up the sameness of your dungeon!.
image3.JPG 
The height of the tile is greater than either the Adventurescapes or DF floor tile yet also less than the small stairs that DF provides.
image4 (1).JPG 
Unfortunately, the treads do not line up with the DF small stair products. So, until (and if) Adventurescapes provides alternate pieces (like sides and or curves) - this tile has limited free deployment; in corners as a single piece - in pairs against a wall or as a ledge. IF you cut off the bottom two treads, the piece should fit pretty snuggly into DF corners.
alter.JPG 
Without a corner piece from Adventurescapes, unable to determine how it can fit into their floor scheme (except as shown in the photos as one of four in the room center).

All in all, nice piece, easily modded but difficult to break without evil intentions. Not sure how useful it would be except in pairs, but, if the remainder of the set is made of the same material - I've been left with no choice but to get me some!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Legal imprint